Saturday, May 28, 2016

A New Project

I have a new project on the go tonight, after a dry spell for the past few weeks. Using the lovely colour of the year - Highlight - from Kona to make a drunkards path variation.

One might think this bright yellow would be enough to keep me awake,  but that isn't turning out to be the case. So I won't be getting as much done tonight as I had hoped to do, but it is nice to be working on something new.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Absent Blogger

I've been a bit remiss in my blogging lately. Mostly because my long arm business has taken off and is keeping me quite busy.  That's a good thing,  but has made it hard to carve out blogging time.  So I've decided to try something new - blogging through email. This will hopefully make it easier for me to link pictures to my posts,  without having to download them from my camera every time. So this post is an experiment :)

A couple of weeks ago the Ottawa Modern Quilt Guild participated in a quilt show. We displayed several quilts from our members,  to showcase modern quilting for visitors to the show.

This quilt was my favourite,  and i think might be in my list of future projects.

Saturday, May 7, 2016

One Monthly Goal for May

It's already a week into May, and I can't figure out where the time has gone.  I did manage to finish my April project (Glorious and Free), but now I need to decide what I can possibly get finished in May. Right now, I just want to get back to sewing - life has been more about customer quilts, a modern display at the local quilt show, and life in general. I haven't been in the sewing room working on my own projects for a couple of weeks now.

I did finish the border on my house quilt (and I see I never showed a photo of that, so here it is).

So this month for my One Monthly Goal, I think I will try to find time to finish the border on the companion star quilt. I have a plan, I have the fabric. I just need to make a couple of dozen flying geese to get started.



Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Design Wall Monday

My design wall hasn't changed very much since last time I posted it. A few more blocks put together, but steam has run out since I've given up on having this done for the guild meeting.  I will keep plugging away, and then cut some more blocks since I found some more of the fabric I needed for it.

I've started a hand-piecing project that is keeping me busy in front of the TV. This is bad news for my embroidery projects, but I'm loving this one.  I picked up a fellow guild members UFO a few weeks ago - she had all the charms cut and a few of the apple cores basted for this quilt.  And she was selling it off (along with some other UFOs she was clearing out). For $3, including all the fabric and the papers, I could not resist - an apple core quilt has been on my bucket list for years.

The original fabrics are very traditional, and there are only enough for a wall hanging (about 100 pieces), so I pulled a bunch more in matching colours from my stash in more modern designs.  I hope that will spruce it up a bit.

Edit:
I wrote this up and posted it. And it wasn't until I went looking for the Design Wall Monday post on Judy's blog that I realized it is in fact Tuesday today.  Early in the week, and I've already lost a day :)


Saturday, April 23, 2016

Glorious and Free

Finished another quilt this week.  I've been telling myself to move this one up the list for a while, since it was promised to Quilts of Valour (Canada).  Quilted it a few weeks ago, and finally dug it out of the binding pile and finished it this week. Just in time for show and tell at guild on Wednesday (literally - I finished stitching the binding, threw it in the car and headed to the meeting).

The pattern was designed by Brandy Lynn Designs (Quilter on Fire), specifically for Quilts of Valour. I'm thrilled to have made one to donate.

To finish it off, I designed a pantograph of maple leaves for the quilting design.

Linking up with WIPs be Gone today. And when the time comes, I'll link with the Q2 Finish Along reports, because this quilt was on my Q2 list.
Also linking up with One Monthly Goal, as this quilt was my goal for April.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Allietare!

Allietare is done!  I finally finished sewing the binding on this quilt, and tried it out on my bed.  It fits almost perfectly, and I think will make a great spring/fall quilt.  I love the way the borders came out, with the brown tucked in there and then used for the binding. I decided not to do the scalloped border that Bonnie had on hers - partly due to "I don't wanna do that"  inertia, and partly because I like a square edge on my bed quilts.

This is the first time I made a full-sized Bonnie Hunter mystery, and I'm really glad I did. I quilted it with the "Tickle Too" pantograph which is light and airy, with a few spirals thrown in.  The quilt is busy enough that I thought it did not need any detailed quilting.




Sunday, April 17, 2016

Stash Report - April 17

There hasn't been a lot of finishing going on here this week. Lots of longarming - but mostly for customers and charity, which I don't get to count. 

A little bit went out since my last stash report, however. I quilted Glorious and Free, so the backgin for that went out. And Ascension was quilted, which is another (tiny) backing. This is just a little wall hanging, so it didn't use much.  But it needs to be done, before the end of this month so it can go into the quilt show.

Glorious and Free backing - 3 yards
Ascension - .5 yards

And of course my shopping trip from Friday brought in fabric. - 5.5 yards to finish 3 quilts. I'm hoping to finish at least one of these quilt tops this week, so I might have more to say for my next stash report.

2016 totals:
75 1/4 yards in
101 3/4 yards out
Total: 26 1/2 yards out
Head over to Patchworks Times today for more stash reports.