Monday 8 July 2013

Design Wall Monday

Another blank design wall today. But for good reason!  I finished the top and backing for my hexagon quilt, and even got it quilted last night.  Just needs binding now.  This is going to be a class in the fall, so I need to get it bound, photographed, and delivered to the store soon (like, this week).

I do need some input on a design "bed" decision.  I have my bear paw quilted and off the long arm. Now it's time to bind it - but I used every scrap of fabric I had - background, colours, and even the gold and brown sashing.  So I need to pick something new for the binding.  I have 4 options I think. 

A gold, which is close, but not quite, the gold I used.  Brown, or blue - again, not exactly the same shade as any of the blocks.  I did find a neutral - but it's not as close a match as I hoped, so I don't think I like it. 

So, what do you think?  I'm afraid the blue pulls the eye away from the center of the quilt, so I'm leaning towards the brown.

Check out Judy's blog for more design walls today.

And if you are interested in ways to help the Alberta flood victims, please have a look at yesterday's post.




10 comments:

  1. I love pink and gray together. On the Bear Paw, I think the brown compliments the gold. It's a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the brown would frame out the quilt nicely!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, er, I like the blue. Ok, so I like bright colors and it looks bright which might do what you say. My second choice was the gold. Although it is hard to see on a computer, it doesn't look like there is any brown in the quilt. Of course, what is looking deep red or burgundy is probably brown... good luck making your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I like the brown. It's a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the blue. I think it ties the bold colors together. I hope that you find a color that speaks to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I like the gold. It's close enough to the gold in the quilt that the difference wouldn't be noticable. There is a lot of the gold going lengthwise and crosswise through the quilt. I think that putting the gold as binding would continue those lines and pull everything together into one beautiful package, especially since it is already gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm choosing the blue because all your colors are so bright. Looks really wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the lighter blue--I think its quiet and restful and lets everyone admire the rest of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote for gold. I think it looks more "unified" like one large golden frame (from the first thin strip of gold down to the binding) It makes my eye go back to the center of the quilt faster because the frame is more pulled together. It is a gorgous quilt. Great job, Krista.
    Thanks for the post on Sunday, July 9th. I have three slab blocks ready for Cheryl in Calgary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Krista, My first choice is the gold as is tones with the other gold well. Second choice is the blue, it just pops more, but still tones. The brown and the really light binding don't seem to go as well with the quilt from the pictures. My thoughts!

    ReplyDelete